Sports & physical activity
SPORT AT HEATHCOTE
At Heathcote we recognise the important place of sport in our students' development. Our dedicated and talented teachers support students in a wide range of sports:
- encouraging participation
- building skills and character; and
- promoting individual and team success.
Sport and physical activity is a valued and accepted part of our school's curriculum, contributing to the development of the whole child. It provides a vehicle for social, physical, emotional and moral learning and is an important expression of our culture.
The participation, enjoyment and skill development of our students is the corner-stone of the school sport/ physical activity program. All our students take part in this program.
There are also opportunities to represent our school at inter-school sports competitions. As a NSW public school we benefit from the opportunities for shared activities and competitions with other schools, coordinated by school sport associations. See the School Sport Unit website for details.
Heathcote High has enjoyed some notable sporting achievements in 2015
Skiing - Interschools Alpine Championships
- Bryn Jarman (11) and Cerys Jarman (8) have excelled recently at the Northern Region Interschools Alpine Championships that were held on 3rd and 4th of July at Perisher.
Bryn - Division 1 (yr 11 & 12)
SkierX - 1st, Alpine(GS) - 1st, Making him Division 1 boys champion
Cerys - Division 3 ( yr 7 & 8), SkierX - 5th, Alpine(GS) - 6th
Australian Alpine Championships
Bryn Jarman – 2ND in Alpine (Giant Slalom) and 3rd in Skier X- 5th
Cerys Jarman- 38th Alpine(Giant Slalom)
Other outstanding achievements:
- Mitchell Burton / Lauren Calver / Dau Akol- Sydney East Blues
- Lauren Calver, NSW CHS Basketball Opens team and MVP- Now in USA with Basketball College Scholarship
- Dau Akol- Open Boys Football NSWCHS and NSW All Schools Football team and Sydney FC
- Mitchell Burton- NSWCHS Gold medallist in Shot Put and Open Sydney East Atheltics Age Champ.
- Keely McNallyand Amber Jade Clark
- Nick Meldrum- NSWCHS Bronze Medallist in Shot Put and Discus
- Zac Issa – Sydney East u15 R.League team
- Maddy Haywood named as the U15 Sydney East age champion Sydney East.
- Marissa Healey, Elise Kallmeier and Maddy Haywood also represented Sydney East at the NSWCHS Swimming Carnival,
- William Watson – Sydney East Hockey selection;
- Reece Kelly – Sydney East U15 AFL selection;
- Tyra Thwaite – Sydney East U15 Touch;
- Harry Callahan – Sydney East Football selection.
- Under 14 Rugby League- ¼ Finals for the NSWCHS Buckley Shield Rugby League competition
- Open Boys Football- Round 16 of NSWCHS competition
- Taj Lynch- NSWCHS Cross Country Team and 1st AWD time trial 1 km, 9rd at Australian Cross Country Championships. Record for Javlin at AWD Sydney East
- Cassie Voysey- State Champion in Mountain Biking
- NSW Touch in Trans Tasman Touch Competition- Hayden Shoemark, Tyra Thwaite, Christina Pevkos, Noah Steart, Jaob Master, Jared Kidd< Blake Hosking
- Australian Surf Life Saving Championship-our students from Helensburgh-Stanwell Park Surf Life Saving Club This is Surf Life Saving's pinnacle event where competitors from all across Australia travel to compete.
- Adam Newey in Year 10 came away with a Bronze medal in the U/15 year's beach sprint. He then teamed up to run with Brent Manning from Year 10 in the U/15's beach relay. The boys received a gold medal, coming equal 1st with the same team that beat them at the State titles. Emmett Gray in Year 11 ran up an age group with the U/19's beach relay team. This team placed 3rd, receiving a bronze medal.
- Ryan Hope, Reece Kelly, Tom King- Syd. East Cross Country
- 63 Students represented Sutherland Zone at Sydney East Athletics Carnival and 13 qualified for the NSWCHS Athletics Carnival
- Callie Blanch- res. Champion in the Camden HS Interschool equestrian and represented HHS at other equestrian results